Capital Market Development Donor Working Group (CMD-DWG)
In line with the operational objectives of MFW4A Secretariat, of encouraging deep, transparent, and accessible capital markets, the MFW4A Secretariat, with support of the African Market Initiative (AFMI) launched a Capital Market Development (CMD) Donor Working Group.
Capital Market Development Donor Working Group Objectives
MFW4A CMD Donor Working Group aims to provide a platform for discussing, capturing, tracking and sharing information on innovative capital market products and business models for donors. Furthermore, it aims to improve regulatory and supervisory bodies, and to create opportunities for practical learning.
The Working Group will assist its donors in developing and implementing long-term, comprehensive and integrated CMD policies and projects that are supportive of sustainable development of CMD services in Africa. It is particularly aims to:
- Organize dialogue among donors about Regional Financial Integration activities throughout the African continent, and to educate and share ideas among the group;
- Raise awareness of the potential effects of financial regulations as well as the changing global financial environment on national and/or regional policies of African countries;
- Promote approaches which balance the risks and opportunities of financial innovations and provide inputs, where appropriate, to relevant African bodies and authorities;
- Advocate for growing recognition of CMD in regional development strategies;
- Encourage joint donor interventions on CMD issues in Africa, including publications and missions; and
- Focus on more technical issues, such as toolkits.
The Capital Market Development Donor Working Group was inaugurated on June 29th, 2010 and includes more than 40 members representing 14 development partners’ institutions.
Chair: Nontle Kabanyane (AfDB)
Coordinator: Habib Attia (MFW4A)
Donor's activities on Capital Market Development