Mobile Banking Donor Working Group (MB-DWG)
In line with the operational objectives of MFW4A Secretariat and following one of the recommendations arising from the MFW4A Book II “Financing Africa: Through the Crisis and beyond” encouraging the development of mobile technology as an important transformational model, the Secretariat, with support of CGAP, launched a Mobile Banking Donor Working Group (MBDWG).
Mobile Banking Donor Working Group Objectives
MFW4A Mobile Banking Donor Working Group aims to provide a platform for discussing, capturing, tracking and sharing information on innovative mobile financial products and business models for donor and development partners and promotes the broad use of m-financial services as a key solution for greater financial inclusion in Africa.
The Working Group will assist its development partners in developing and implementing long-term, comprehensive and integrated mobile banking policies and projects that are supportive of sustainable development of Mobile Money financial services in Africa. It is particularly aimed to:
- Organize a dialogue among donors about mobile banking activities throughout the African continent, and to educate and share ideas among the group;
- Raise awareness on potential adverse effects of financial regulations, as well as telecommunication regulations, on national or regional policies for mobile banking;
- Promote approaches which balance the risks and opportunities of financial innovations and provide inputs, where appropriate, to relevant African bodies and authorities;
- Advocate for a growing recognition of mobile banking in national development strategies;
- Encourage joint donor interventions on mobile banking issues in Africa, including publications and missions;
- Focus on technical issues and resources, such as toolkits and other tangible tools; and
- Effectively contribute to greater learning on how mobile banking can reduce the costs of access and transactions.
The Mobile Banking Donor Working Group was inaugurated on July 7th, 2011 and includes more than 50 members representing 27 development partners’ institutions.
Chair: Sarah Rotman (CGAP)
Coordinator: Habib Attia (MFW4A)
Donor's activities on Mobile Banking